Lockwood, West Riding, Yorkshire
Lockwood was originally a village in the parish of Almondbury. Today it is a suburb in the south west of Huddersfield. Acreage - 970
From Pigot & Co's National Commercial Directory, 1834
"LOCKWOOD is a village and township, in the parish of Almondbury, and the same wapentake as Huddersfield, now nearly united to that populous and flourishing towns; it is beautifully situated in the valley of the Holme, and in the midst of romantic and finely sheltered country. The great attraction of this place is its spaw and baths. The water is highly esteemed for its medicinal properties, and the baths, which afford ample accommodation for visiters, embrace swimming, warm, Buxton, shower, vapour, sulphurous, fumigating, and shampooing. For the latter process a native of India has been engaged, and the estimation in which the Lockwood waters are held, is attested by the fact that upwards of ten thousand baths having been taken there during the past season. There is now a good Inn close to the baths.
For the accommodation of the increasing population, a church has been erected, of which the Rev. Joseph Hughes is the incumbent; and other improvements are rapidly taking place, doubtless caused by the prosperous state of its manufactures, which are of the same character as those of its extensive neighbour, Huddersfield. The other places of worship are, two chapels for the particular baptists."
The population of Lockwood during the 19th Century grew very quickly. The table below shows the growth from 1801 to 1901 (source "A History of the County of Yorkshire, Volume 3, page 525",1st published in 1913 and reprinted 1974 - ISBN 0 7129 06118).
Postcard below is of the Lockwood Viaduct. Chromo type card, postally used in 1904. Published by Hartmann, number 2587.6
This impressive example of Victorian engineering carries
the railway line from Lockwood, Yorkshire to Berry Brow as it spans the River
Holme. It forms a dramatic entranceway to the picturesque Holme Valley, made
famous by the long running comedy series "Last of the Summer Wine". This
impressive local feature spans the Holme Valley above Lockwood as it carries the
Penistone Line railway between Huddersfield and Sheffield. As one of the largest
such structures in the area it has thirty six arches, stands at 129 feet high
and is 1,407 feet long. This massive feat of railway engineering was begun in
1846 and was officially opened two years later. During the nineteenth century it
was the model for many of the LYR company’s publicity pictures and with its
graceful span became a well known landmark. Today it still carries trains
although not as frequently as in its Victorian heyday.
Picture and text from The Huddersfield Daily Examiner, PO Box A26, Queen Street South, Huddersfield, England. Website http://www.examiner.co.uk/